Monday, December 17, 2007

Look at all the Colourful Sashes/Belts - What Does It Mean?

Walking into my class you will notice a group of students dressed mainly in black with various coloured of sashes around their waist. This is very nice but keep in mind it is not the traditional way. For years I have struggled with the question of whether or not we should all wear the same colour of sash within the class and even went for a period of time with everyone wearing the same colour. Those in my class will understand that although we use colours to differentiate achievement levels, the real identification of where you rank in the class is by seniority/time as a member. We treat this as a family where your elder brother or sister will always be your elder brother or sister even if you surpass them in quantity of techniques learned.

Why have them? I have already mentioned that this helps me remember where the students are in their training and what they should have learned. I also believe that it is nice for the students to see advancement and achievement throughout their training in Kung Fu or any Martial Art.

What does it all mean? I would like my students to be proud of their achievements and be happy that they are progressing within our system. At the same time, I would like the students to understand that there are really 2 levels within the school, Sifu (instructor) or student. Within the school there is one Sifu....that being the head instructor.

No comments: