Thursday, May 29, 2008

How Long Does it Take to Become an Instructor?

As I speak with people I often am asked how long it would take them to become an instructor in Kung Fu. I am always amazed that people expect an answer to this question. I am not sure how I am expected to know the answer to this question. We should probably equate this to some other questions.
  • As a person begins to take skating lessons, do people ask them when they will become a professional hockey player?
  • How about stopping someone on the street and asking them how long it would take you to get to Florida? Ask that question without specifying how you intend to get there.
I am a Kung Fu instructor, not a psychic. There are way too many variables that play into the equation. Without training with a student for a while I cannot judge things such as athletic ability, retention, coordination, attitude, motivation, determination, attendance and patience. This does not even account for family commitments, work commitments, injury or unexpected circumstances. Let's just say that becoming an instructor will happen when it happens. I would encourage everybody to be patient, work hard and let things happen when they do.

No comments: